Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian


Summary from GoodReads: Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

OVERALL RATING (2 out of 5):
Photobucket

I'm definitely at a minority when it comes to this rating. This book gets way higher reviews than what I actually think of it. I didn't think it was a bad book, it just felt like there was something about it that rubbed me the wrong way. Okay, here's what I liked about it: He was so honest in this book. Lets just say this book is probably tended to be for a more mature audience. Things like masturbation were mentioned in small parts of the books but it made it more real and believable to me. Though at times it seemed to be a bit excess. Also, I know I'm going to remember parts of this book because it left such an effect on me. But, like I said, there was just something about it that bugged me. I think that anyone that reads this review and hasn't read this book should go read this book anyway. Maybe I wasn't in the mood to read this kind of book or something. I don't know. But really, you all should read it and prove this review wrong or something. :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment